The AER is made up of three divisions and various branches that are organized to efficiently carry out our business and regulatory functions. Project teams often bring together people from across the organization to take advantage of different skill sets, knowledge, and perspectives.
The AER’s Chief Executive Officer remains responsible for the day-to-day operations of the AER and is directly accountable to the board. The CEO’s office is responsible for Government Engagement.
Additional functions report directly to the CEO, including Corporate and Financial Reporting, Finance and Corporate Controller; Fleet and Procurement; Workplace Services; Planning and Performance; Strategy; Enterprise Capabilities; and Performance and Risk.
- Chief Executive Officer – Laurie Pushor
- Executive Liaison and Chief of Staff – Tyson Flynn (interim)
- Vice President, Finance and Enterprise Performance – Naren Makwana (interim)
The Operations Division oversees the full life cycle of energy resource development in Alberta. It works with companies and stakeholders to assess new development proposals and also holds companies accountable for delivering positive outcomes while meeting regulatory requirements—from design and construction through to active operations and, ultimately, decommissioning.
This division is made up of five branches—Regulatory Applications, Compliance and Liability Management, Regulatory Enhancement, Alberta Geological Survey, and Technical Science and External Innovation Support—that focus on consistent and efficient use of the existing regulatory tools and processes to ensure compliance, industry performance reporting, and improvement of the effectiveness and efficiency of our regulatory system across each of the sectors we regulate.
- Executive Vice President – Martin Foy (interim)
- Vice President, Regulatory Enhancement – Shelley Youens
- Vice President, Compliance & Liability Management – Rob Wadsworth (acting)
- Vice President, Alberta Geological Society – Andrew Beaton
- Vice President, Regulatory Applications – Bola Talabi (interim)
- Vice President, Technical Science & External Innovation – Jil MacDonald (interim)
The Corporate Services Division provides the foundational support necessary to enable the AER to achieve its mandate. This division emphasizes the importance of our people, our information, and our relationships. It provides key corporate functions to our organization, such as managing technology, information, and human resources, and building relationships.
This division is made up of three branches: Information Management and Technology; People, Culture, and Learning; and Engagement and Communication.
- Executive Vice President – Glen Eades (interim)
- Vice President, Engagement and Communication – Jennifer Wells
- Vice President, Information Management and Technology – James Betterton (acting)
- Vice President, People, Culture, and Learning – Doris Hall (interim)
The Law Branch provides legal advice to the entire organization, including the board of directors and hearing commissioners. It supports many aspects of our work, such as project authorizations, contracts, hearings, litigation, regulatory and strategic projects, and government and stakeholder engagement. Our staff in the Law Branch have expertise in the regulations, rules, directives, and policies applicable to our work.
- Executive Vice President and General Counsel – Charlene Graham
- Vice President, Law – Sean Sexton
- Associate General Counsel – Jeff Moore