Legal Header

If you need to report a complaint related to energy development, or its impact on the environment, please call our Energy and Environmental 24-hour Response Line at 1-800-222-6514.

When to File a Complaint

A complaint is filed whenever someone notifies us that an operation, site, or facility that we are responsible for is doing something that could have a negative impact on public safety, the environment, or personal property.

When You Call: What to Say

When you call the 24-hour response line, please provide us with as much detail as possible, such as the following:

  1. The location or legal land description (e.g., 01-087-18W4M): This is a combination of letters and numbers that provides the exact location of any plot of land in Alberta by identifying the section, township, range, and meridian. You can usually find the legal land description on a property deed or by using a website such as If you are not able to find the legal land description, please provide us with a general location.
  2. A clear description of the issue: Tell us what you saw, the impact you believe it has, and why you are concerned.
  3. The source of the problem: Do you know what led to this issue or caused it to happen? If not, try to describe the industrial activity that is in the area (e.g., oil and gas, agriculture, manufacturing).

Never put yourself in personal danger to gather any of the above information. When you call our 24-hour response line, you will speak with a trained compliance officer. He or she will notify the appropriate organizations or companies, and if necessary, emergency responders will go to the area to obtain all of the required information.

Contact Us

If you have questions or concerns related to oil and gas regulation in Alberta, please contact our Customer Contact Centre.